This section is for articles containing background information that doesn't involve rules changes. Generally, these will be the kinds of things that one might think to look for in the reference section of a library or similar facility.
- Calendars in Known Space (Jeff Zeitlin) What's today's date? That depends on who you ask. This article looks at how the major starfaring races number their days.
- An Outline of Jump Physics (Ingo Henischer) An explanation of what Jump and Jumpspace are.
- Common Languages of the Regency (Jeff Zeitlin) An overview of the languages spoken Behind the Claw.
- The Failure of Noblesse Oblige and the Rebellion (Ehren Gresehover) A discussion of the forces that allowed the failure of Noblesse Oblige to lead to the Rebellion.
- Real Power is Local Power (Andrew Bernstein) An outline of the realities imposed on the exercise of power.
- An Analysis of Tech Levels (Ken Pick) A discussion of the qualitative difference between tech levels.
- The 17th Disjuncture (David Drazul) A brief look at the philosophical origins of a Vargr state
- Emperors of the Rule of Man (Mick Bailey) Capsule descriptions of the rulers of the Second Imperium
- Jump Destinations Short writeups of worlds for campaigns.