There are a number of mailing lists dedicated to discussion of Traveller. This section gives the name of the list, the procedure to subscribe, and a rough estimate of the traffic level. Web sites listed in subscription instructions will have one or more forms to fill out. Please read all instruction carefully.
Note: "Available as reflector" means that the list can be subscribed to in a mode where each subscriber receives individual messages posted to the list, sent out as soon as they are posted. "Available as digest" means that the list retains all posts, and sends them out as a single message periodically (or when a certain number of messages or bytes have accumulated).
- Traveller Mailing List (TML)
- General discussion of all things Traveller. Available
as reflector and digest.
Send a blank message to email@example.com or visit the web page at http://lists.travellercentral.com. The list receives about 200K of messages per day.
- Traveller Technical Development (Trav-tech)
- Discussion of technical issues in Traveller - equipment/vehicle/weapon
design systems and testing thereof - a "gearhead's" paradise. Available
as reflector and digest.
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with a body line of subscribe trav-tech to join the list. Traffic on the list is currently low and sporadic.
- Traveller: The New Era (formerly Reformation Coalition Expeditionary Services (TNE-RCES))
- Discussions of the Reformation Coalition & Regency settings in Traveller:
The New Era and technical design using FF&S. Also available in digest
Send a message to Traveller_tneemail@example.com, or visit http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/Traveller_tne. Note the underscore in the list name. Traffic levels average 3-6 messages/day.
- Traveller Deck Plans
- Discussion and development of deck plans for Traveller
starships. Available as reflector.
Visit http://home.earthlink.net/~jamstar/traveller/boats.html (This link appears to be defunct. Corrected info appreciated) or http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/deckplans, or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Traffic levels are unknown.
- Fourth Imperium Working Group
- Discussions of a post-Collapse far-distant future setting for Traveller.
Available as reflector.
Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/4iwg or send a message to email@example.com. Traffic is low and sporadic.
- Classic Traveller Starships
- Design and discussion of High Guard-derived starship designs for
Classic Traveller. Available as reflector or digest.
Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/ct-starships or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Traffic on the list is moderate (about 100 messages per month).
- Traveller CD Project
- Working group for the production of a CD-ROM chock-full of Traveller
Send a message containing a body line of "subscribe" to email@example.com. Traffic levels are unknown.
- GURPS Traveller Mailing List
- Discussion of GURPS Traveller. Available as reflector.
Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/gurpstraveller, or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Traffic levels are unknown.
- Traveller-20 (T20) Mailing List
- Discussions of d20 Traveller. Available as reflector or digest.
Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/Traveller_T20, or send a message to Traveller_T20email@example.com. Traffic is light-to-moderate, generally one digest per day.
- Traveller 3D Graphics (Trav3D)
- Exchange of information, ideas, and techniques for the creation
of Traveller-related three-dimensional computer generated images. Available
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with just the word "subscribe" in the message body. Traffic is averaging about one message per day.
While there are no newsgroups dedicated specifically to the Traveller system, posts and threads concerning Traveller have appeared or may appear in the following newsgroups:
- General discussion of role-playing games. This group should be used if none of the other groups in the rec.games.frp hierarchy are appropriate.
- According to the charter, it's for heated discussion of role-playing games. The reality appears that it's for philosophical discussions of role-playing in general. It is strongly recommended that you read the FAQ, usually posted with a subject line of "Johns FAQ, Part n", where n is 0 to 3.
- Moderated newsgroup. Announcements of interest to players of role-playing games, including "personals", product ads, web site announcements, convention announcements, and so on.
- Offers to buy/sell/trade role-playing game materials.
- Discussion about the entire line of GURPS role-playing materials, including GURPS:Traveller.
- Moderated newsgroup. Posts of role-playing-game-related stories, campaign writeups, house rules, net.books, et cetera - anything that people want to share and which should logically be preserved.
There is a registered channel, #traveller, on Undernet. Jeff Zeitlin is the channel operator. There are usually a few Traveller fans hanging out evenings (US Eastern Time). Occasionally, there will be a moderated discussion (usually on a Thursday night, beginning at 9:00PM US Eastern Time). Contact your ISP if you need more information on using IRC; to locate an undernet server that will provide you with good response times, visit the undernet web site at http://www.undernet.org.
Otherworlders.org also has a Traveller-related channel, #LoneStar. This is sponsored by QLI, and was recently bridged with Undernet's #traveller. Traffic is light, with a noticeable upswing Sundays.
There is also a #gurps channel on Undernet, where discussion of GURPS:Traveller would be on-topic. This channel appears to be mostly idle, however, with a small number of regular lurkers.